For assistance with obtaining your identification, please contact the Womanspace office at 403-329-8338

If you are in a situation where you have no proper identification, these are the steps you must follow:

  1. The first, and easiest, piece to get is your Alberta Health Care card. If you do not know your number, contact your doctor’s office. To get a replacement card is FREE, you simply need to call 310-0000 and when prompted, dial 780-427-1432. They will mail you out a replacement card. If you have had more than 10 AB Health Care cards, they will mail you a form that you must fill out and have signed by a notary. Womanspace can help you find a notary.
  2. With your AB Health Care card and a piece of mail with your name and address, you can apply for your Alberta Birth Certificate. An Alberta Birth Certificate will cost $30.50, Womansapce will pay the cost. If you were born in a province other than Alberta, contact Womanspace for specific provincial requirements and costs.
  3. With your AB Health Care card and your Birth Certificate you can apply for an Alberta ID card. An Alberta ID card will cost $49.95.
  4. If you are applying for the new Indian Status Card (passport/status card), there is NO COST for the card, but they do require that you have a birth certificate (photocopies NOT permitted), a photo ID (photocopies NOT permitted) and one other piece of government identification (such as an AB Health Care card or Social Insurance Card).
  5. Womanspace helps acquiring identifications such as Birth Certificate, Alberta ID card and Driver license. Womanspace covers the cost of one identification for women and their children.